TELS CONTINUING ELIGIBILITY
A student who initially is eligible for a Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship must continue to meet eligibility requirements in regard to GPA and enrollment status.
How can I keep my lottery scholarship?
- Aim for a 3.0 TELS GPA and maintain it! Check your lottery GPA and other stats (available in the Powercampus Self-Service) frequently to know how you’re doing.
- Enroll in at least one class every fall and spring semester; don’t skip any semesters except summer. (You must enroll in at least 6 hours to receive a scholarship for that semester, though!)
- Be careful about dropping classes. Don’t drop a class if it will cause you to fall below 12 hours for the semester. If you started the semester in part-time status (6 to 11 hours), don’t drop a class if it will cause you to fall below 6 hours for the semester.
- Watch your calendar! You can receive the scholarship for only 5 years after you start college (or until you complete your first degree).
If I lose my scholarship, can I get it back?
- You may be able to appeal if you lost your scholarship because you didn’t meet the enrollment requirements due to extenuating circumstances.
- You may be able to regain eligibility later by raising your GPA, if you lost your scholarship because you didn’t meet the GPA requirements.
- You can find more information about both appealing and regaining eligibility below or at www.tn.gov/CollegePays/mon_college/lottery_scholars.htm.
Where can I find more detailed information?
As indicated above, TSAC’s TELS policy states that grades for all courses taken after high school graduation will be included in the TELS GPA, including courses later retaken for a higher grade. However, each student will be allowed to repeat a single class and request that the earlier grade be excluded from the TELS GPA. (Please Note: A student may repeat multiple classes according to institutional policy, but only one grade may be excluded for TELS purposes.) When the student reaches the next bracket (at 48, 72, 96, 120, 144, or 168 TELS attempted hours) after the course is repeated, the excluded grade will not be considered in determining whether the student meets the GPA requirement.
A student must submit a Repeat Option Request Form located on the LOC website under financial aid forms to request that a repeated grade be excluded. The student must additionally consult with an advisor in the Academic Support Center regarding the use of the Repeat Option.
A student who was initially eligible for a Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship but who lost eligibility due to failure to meet GPA requirements may be able to regain TELS eligibility. The student must meet the following criteria:
- Must have lost eligibility due to failure to meet GPA requirements.
- Must meet requirement of at least a 3.0 TELS GPA after 48, 72, or 96 TELS attempted hours.
- August 2008 Update: Students who reach the 48-hour bracket in the spring 2008 semester or later may regain eligibility with a 2.75 cumulative TELS GPA or higher. Students who reach the 72-hour or subsequent brackets (96, 120, 144, and 168) in the spring 2008 semester or later may provisionally qualify to regain eligibility with a 2.75 cumulative TELS GPA and a 3.0 semester GPA. Please contact your Financial Aid Office.
- Must meet all other continuing eligibility criteria for every semester, including semesters for which the student did not receive a TELS award:
- Must have been enrolled in at least one hour every fall and spring semester
- Must have maintained enrollment status for every semester. (For example, a student who enrolled in full-time hours must have finished the semester with at least 12 credit hours.)
- Must meet all other continuing eligibility criteria as stated in TSAC’s TELS policy.
- Must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current year. The FAFSA must be processed every year by September 1.
A student may regain the TELS award beginning with the semester after attempting 48, 72, 96, 120, 144, or 168 hours as defined by TSAC’s TELS policy. Awards cannot be applied retroactively to prior semesters. A student may submit a Regain Option Form to notify the Financial Aid Office of eligibility under the Regain Provision, or may contact us by email, phone, or in person to request a TELS status review.